Sunday, June 16, 2013

Bucket Lists

Very often I hear people remark about their "bucket lists" and how, after they've reached a certain milestone, they are able to then check off one of the "things I gotta do/see/experience before I die." This sounds stressful to me...downright depressing, too. To have a list hanging over me as a constant reminder of all the things I still need to do or accomplish seems to me more of a burden than a motivation.

Now I'm not averse to keeping lists and making goals. Lists keep me sane and goals motivate. But a bucket list? Not for me.

My nesting dolls from Moscow
There are things that I have done/seen/experienced that I never would have even imagined putting on a list. They just happened. Act in a play, visit Moscow, learn  sign language, move to North Carolina....you know what I mean. Interesting events happen to everyone in seemingly random ways. My bucket list is being written as I live my life. The writing of this "list", my life in Christ, is the work of the Holy Spirit. His ways are so much higher than mine. I need to trust Him with writing my Bucket List.

So far, so good. And if I ever swim with the dolphins, climb Mt. Everest, sing a duet with Josh Groban... 

No comments:

Post a Comment