Thursday, July 4, 2013

A [Diabetic] Girl's Best Friend(s)

My diet is all about the numbers...counting carbs and monitoring blood glucose levels. To find ways to shave even 3 or 5 carbs here and there throughout the day means that a few cookies with my coffee at the end of the day is a bright possibility! So I've become an avid food label reader. No. I've become an obsessive food label reader. And once you begin to study those labels your eating habits will change...diabetic or not. There's a lot of bad stuff on the grocery store shelves posing as food. But there's also a lot of wonderful, yummy food to be found as well. So, I've compiled a list of my favorite diabetes-friendly foods.  This is by no means comprehensive, but a list of my new best [dietary] friends:


walnuts
Gotta love those omega-3 fatty acids! A little goes a long way though.
 


almond milk (vanilla, unsweetened)
Low carbs, low cal, lots of calcium, and omega-3s. Great with cereal!

 

 

Ceylon cinnamon
Not all cinnamons are the same.  Only Ceylon is attributed
with stabilizing blood sugar levels and is known to have
anti-inflammatory properties. 1/4 - 1/2 tsp per day.

 

 

dark chocolate
Need I say more? Dark, not milk.

 

cauliflower
Steamed, with cheese sauce, and then baked.  Who needs mac and cheese?
Smashed with butter and sour cream or plain greek yogurt.  Who needs mashed potatoes?

 

spaghetti squash
No, it doesn't taste like spaghetti. But it's a nice low-carb break from using
pasta or rice as a side for stir fry. Try it, you'll like it!

 

 

Nature Valley protein bars
5g fiber, 14g carbs, 10g protein. Very satisfying afternoon snack. 

 

 

LaTortilla Factory mini whole wheat tortillas
Tortillas are not the most carb-friendly, however this company
managed to create a wonderful 50 calorie taco-sized tortilla
with only 9g carbs and 6g fiber. I find these at Harris Teeter.

 

 

peanut butter
Oh how I love you, peanut butter!
I prefer Smart Balance for taste and nutritional value.
 
Of course my list would continue with fresh fruits, fresh veggies, salmon, trout, ground buffalo,Greek yogurt, eggs...and my once-weekly chocolate almond scone from Underground Baking Company (to enhance my "quality of life").

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment